Two-year wait possible before Section 21 is banned by new legislation, says ARLA

Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2020

Two-year wait possible before Section 21 is banned by new legislation, says ARLA

There has been a lot of speculation about the Government plans to abolish the Section 21 eviction notice, however new reports are suggesting this could be up to two years away.

A Government spokesman said a timetable for the new Renters’ Reform Bill will be released “in due course” so we will have to wait to find out the exact details and timescales.

However David Cox, chief executive of ARLA Propertymark, said that implementation could be lengthy as it will require two different government departments – Housing and Justice – to work together.

The Queen’s Speech at the end of last year outlined a Renters’ Reform Bill abolishing so-called ‘no fault’ evictions but giving landlords rights to gain possession of their property through the courts “where there is a legitimate need”.

While the proposed bill will include plans to improve the court process, designed to make it quicker and easier for landlords to get their property back, there is no explicit mention of a Housing Court that many campaigners have called for and the Government itself has previously sought feedback on.

There is also mention of introducing minimum qualifications for the sector by stating the legislation will “professionalise letting agents, to the benefit of tenants and landlords”.  As an 'ARLA' Propertymark qualified agent already we are in a great position ahead of the game for this particular legislation. 

There are many, many questions which remain unanswered with regards to these new measures and our governing body, ARLA, are working continuously towards clearing up some of these issues so that we have a clear understanding of how to move forward.   As soon as we know more we will keep you updated.

Facebook